Thursday, September 27, 2012

Just Do It

My lesson of the day has definitely been "just do it." All day long I had been thinking about how I didn't want to go to my grief class tonight. I'm not sure why, I just wasn't feeling it tonight. It had been a long day at work and I wanted so badly to lay on the couch at home with my sick husband instead of spending the night away from him. However, Mark suggested I go anyway and that I may get something out of this class I wasn't expecting. I hesitantly went to my class, all the while imagining myself at home with a movie on.

Once I got into the class (which was smaller than usual), I felt much more compelled than normal to talk. I'm not sure if it was the fact that there were fewer people there or if the topic was just something I wanted to talk and ask questions about. I was even able to pass around a photo of myself and my dad, which was something I didn't think I'd ever do in the class. Some of the stories I heard in tonight's class were just what I needed to hear. I got so much out of the class and felt so much better after going.

When I got home I was exhausted, both physically and emotionally, from the day. I fell onto the bed, wanting so badly to be lazy. However, I knew I had plans for tomorrow right after work and running would be impossible tomorrow. Thankfully my husband knows me well and knows that going for a run will always (and I mean always) make me feel better, so he encouraged me to go for a quick three miles. It turns out, it was the fastest three miles I'd run since I've been able to get back into running the past three months. I am so glad I went to run and so proud of myself for cutting my time down.

I like to think there is some lesson you can take from every day. If you take the time at the end of the day to recognize what you learned that day, it makes it easier to apply in the future. My lesson today has been that sometimes when you feel unmotivated or lazy, it really is best in the long run to "just do it."


No comments:

Post a Comment