Saturday, May 25, 2013

DIY is tough

So I'm sitting here looking at home decorating ideas online, trying to figure out what colors we want to paint the extra bedrooms in our new house, with the slight breeze from the fan keeping me cool. Meanwhile, Mark is sweating like crazy with no A/C on, trying to take our door off the hinges so he can paint the front door.

In theory, painting the door didn't seem like hard work when we came up with the idea (probably because I knew I'd be sitting here pinning my life away while Mark did all of the hard work), but it's clearly a lot more work than originally imagined. And I think that's the case with all home projects.

This got me thinking back to when I was a kid, probably 15, and my sister and I got the brilliant idea that was just had to paint our bedrooms. So my sister and I both chose our colors of choice (pink for myself, yellow for my sister) and my parents moved all of our furniture, taped up the room and painted our entire bedrooms. I remember thinking at the time that it didn't seem so bad, but looking back, I really only used the roller for 5 minutes before going back outside to play, while my parents stayed inside painting the rest of the room.

Skip three years and my sister and I were dying to switch rooms. I was over pink and Erin was loving it, so we made my parents take all of our furniture out of our rooms and switch everything. While we loved the outcome, I can't even imagine how much work it created for my parents, who never complained once about it.

So I guess I write all of this to say that DIY stuff is hard work... especially if you're the one actually doing the work. So I am super thankful to have a husband and parents who have helped do all of the hard work to make me happy with my home decor. :)

PS, we are almost done with our first "DIY project" if you will, so I will post some fun pictures of the before and after soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment