Thursday, February 28, 2013

It's a runner thing

I want to preface this post by saying two things. First, I know I have not posted for nearly a month, but I needed a well thought out break from blogging. Secondly, if you don't like running, this post will probably just annoy you, so you can go ahead and exit out of this tab.

There are few things on this planet that make me happier than running. There are also few things that make me more miserable. You see, I've been running for about 12 years now. It's my favorite stress release, form of exercise and way to challenge myself. I've experienced so many benefits from running all these years, but I've also seen the negative.

When you're a runner, you read runner things, you talk to other runners and you slowly become more and more addicted. It's textbook. Being a runner for so long, I've seen it happen to so many people around me in addition to experiencing it myself.

At the point you really catch the running bug, it becomes everything. You no longer plan your day, you plan your day around your run. You get up early, you stay up late. Whatever it takes to make sure you can get your run in. You never skip a day (except for the required rest day of course). You talk about running to anyone who will listen. And you feel normal about it. I've been there, just trust me.

For the past few weeks, for a number of reasons, I'm not running. Sometimes I think your body just tells you that you need a break. But let me tell you, I'm miserable not running. I'm antsy. I need that stress release. I need that exercise. I need that sense of accomplishment. Nothing makes me feel better.

But what I've been wondering lately is why running has to be an all or nothing thing. Over the past few years, there are a few people in my life who have picked up running and I've watched it become an obsession to them. They can't go a day without it. But instead of judging them for it, I understand. Running is literally my biggest love/hate relationship. It can make me feel the best I've ever felt and the worst, all within weeks.

Even though I'm not currently running, I still read running blogs every day. I still follow the PR runs of my favorite bloggers and secretly envy my friends running races. But I know, for me at least, there is too much going on for me to put my focus on running. And I know I would only feel worse about half-hearting it. I honestly think running is one of those bugs that is hard to cure. I wish I could say I won't dive head first back into it at some point, but I just can't guarantee that. But at least I've been able to sit back and recognize how addicting it can be and hopefully that will allow me to practice more moderation once I get back into the swing of things.

1 comment: