Sunday, January 27, 2013

Surrounding yourself

Since Mark and I attended the premarital counseling class at Prestonwood, got married there and later I attended a grief counseling class there, we are on the call list any time a new class opens up. A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from someone who was putting together a "newly married" class on Sunday mornings, so Mark and I decided to try it out this morning.

Neither one of us are a big fan of trying new classes. It's inevitable that the first class will be awkward since you know no one yet. However, we were both surprised at and grateful for how welcoming everyone in the class was. Plus, about half of the class graduated from Baylor, so I felt right at home.

I think it's so important to surround yourself with people who are "fighting the good fight" so to speak. Personally, I know I could use some encouragement from people walking down the same path in life we are. One couple in the class just finished the homebuying process and offered to give us advice whenever we needed it, while one of the class leaders pulled out his phone and showed us photos of his 100 pound chocolate lab, sympathizing with our sleepless nights right now.

We're definitely excited to see what God is putting in our life. Whether this is something we only attend once a week or something that brings us some close friends, we are both open to whatever role this class may play. Plus, they have donuts, so... can't be that bad. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment