Thursday, January 3, 2013

Learning from the best

The other night, Mark and I watched Marley and Me. Don't ask me why we decided to torture ourselves like that, but we did. By the way, that movie is even worse when you actually own a dog. By the final scene of the movie, I was a mess. However, the final monologue of the movie really got me thinking.

A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

I started thinking how few people I know that fit that description. Sure, there are a few, but what if we all worked to be more like that? It probably sounds silly, but sitting here right now with Nolan right by my side, I feel so loved by that dog. When I get up and walk into the bathroom, he is sprinting to be there by my side. He does not judge me for wearing something that isn't in style or roll his eyes when I say something stupid.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm going to strive to be more like this guy...with less chewing though...probably.





No comments:

Post a Comment