Monday, November 5, 2012

Namaste

I've been in a fitness rut the past two weeks. I'm talking a zero workout in two weeks kind of rut. It started back when I got pounced by a giant dog while running two weekends ago. For a couple of days I didn't feel like running, then I got nervous to run outside and then I just got lazy. My laziness has resulted in an apathetic approach to eating (in addition to a trip to my college town where I had to squeeze all of my favorite places into a day and a half) and I finally decided I needed to just take the plunge and get back on track.

I started by taking a new clean approach to my diet. I won't go into much detail because I already wrote an entire blog post on my decision to eat better. My first day into this went perfectly, with the exception of a few mini almond joys that I stress ate snacked on during work. I will talk about how clean eating played into my dinner... after I mention my yoga class experience tonight.

My apartment complex has a very nice gym that is connected to the leasing office, but they also offer workout classes in a studio that is actually attached to my building. Literally I go down the elevator and I'm there... talk about no excuses. Today I decided to try my first class down there. I've often walked by the studio on my way to the gym and been intrigued at the classes going on, so I was excited to attempt my first one.

I decided to ease back into my fitness routine with a pilates/yoga class that I thought would be a piece of cake. Man, was I wrong. As I type, my legs are shaking from using muscles I didn't even know I had. The class was a blast though, with about 15 other girls attending. It was much more fast paced than I was expecting, but it kept me sweating and my heart rate up, which was what I was needed. Let's hope I can walk tomorrow.

It's sad when this dog is more flexible than me.

When I got home after my class, Mark had dinner ready and waiting (I love a man who knows his way around the kitchen). I tried to plan this week's meals yesterday before going to the grocery store so I could make better decisions. Tonight's pre-planned meal was lettuce wraps. I wasn't quite sure what would go in these, but Mark knew exactly what he was doing and they turned out perfect! Straight from the chef's mouth, the lettuce wrap recipe is below:

{Mark's "Sorry Boutcha Pei Wei" Lettuce Wraps}

Ingredients:
  • Lettuce
  • Ground turkey meat
  • Small red potatoes
  • Red onion
  • Carrots
  • Taco seasoning
  • Celery
  • Tomatoes
  • Rosemary
  • Worcestershire Sauce
Step 1: Chop, chop and chop some more. Cut all of the vegetables into small pieces. Begin to sweat them in a pan.
Step 2: Brown the ground turkey meat; add taco seasoning.
Step 3: Add salt, rosemary and worcestershire sauce to vegetables.
Step 4: Add tomatoes to the turkey meat.
Step 5: Serve on lettuce. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment