Friday, October 12, 2012

The Really Little Engine That Could

I recently posted that I had moved my running outside. Well as I mentioned, my first run back was flawless. The weather was perfect, I felt weightless and my running confidence level was at a 10 out of 10.

Then came the next day. I woke up so sore it hurt to get out of bed. After work I struggled with the idea of running again, but I knew it would help to work out my soreness. It's amazing to me the different muscles you use when running outside versus on a treadmill.

I finished my four miles, but they weren't pretty. It was humid, I was sweaty and my legs literally felt like led. On a scale of one to 10, my running confidence level had been knocked to a four at best.

The next day I decided to give my legs a break and spin instead. This morning I was off work, so I woke up early and attempted another run outside. It was even more humid than Tuesday, but I stuck it out and ran anyway. I sweat worse than I have in awhile, but I finished.

I think a lot of times we don't give ourselves enough credit for just getting out there and doing something. No I'm certainly not able to go out and do a long run and the size one jean shorts I'm wearing are more um "form fitting" than they used to be. But it's ridiculous that I get down on myself for the things I can't do instead of being proud of the things I can do.

Deep down I am excited I have added an extra mile to my daily runs. Not only that, there are a lot of things non-fitness related that I have to proud of lately. Being a competitive person, it's so easy to only think of the things you can't do instead of the things you can. It's silly to compare yourself to what others are doing. Instead be happy for them and proud of yourself. :)

On a side note, we are listening to Mark's music on shuffle right now and Girlfriend featuring Nelly just came on. That's my husband. Proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment