Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Are We The Dining Dead?

Recently, Mark and I have started a new mealtime tradition. We will place our phones one on top of the other at the edge of the table. This is mostly for my benefit as I am notorious for being ADD and checking my phone every two seconds. Now this has nothing to do with how enamored I am with the conversation my husband and I are having and everything to do with my inability to stay off my phone for more than two minutes.

I won't lie; the first few meals we spent 100 percent phoneless and focused on one another seemed strange after a year or so of being distracted by our smartphones. However, one day last week Mark and I were at lunch at McAllister's and noticed a couple that had been sitting at lunch for a solid 30 minutes without saying a single word to one another. My mind immediately went to this scene from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_K52RHF6qiWE/TK00agoOFpI/AAAAAAAAA48/JwfRM9TbmG0/s1600/2004_eternal_sunshine_of_the_spotless_mind_004.jpg

Not only did this terrify me, but it made me think that I probably go minutes at a time without giving my husband my full attention during dinner because I am too curious to see who liked my latest Instagram photo.

One thing I remember about our earliest dating days is that Mark would never check his phone. I mean never check it. My instinct when I have a second of downtime is to see who has texted me or check Facebook for any riveting updates, but when I noticed Mark's lack of infatuation with his phone, I felt appreciated and interesting. When I think back to what a crutch my phone has become, I realize this must make my husband feel incredibly uninteresting... although this couldn't be further from the case.

Since we've started this phone-free dining experience, I've remembered what an actual engaging conversation looks like. I've learned to relax and stop worrying about the latest updates on every social network I know. After all, it will still be there when the meal is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment