Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sweet potato and black bean taquitos

Yesterday during lunch, I was talking to my cube-mate Tania about how I used to blog about recipes that Mark and I would make. Those blog posts were always a blast for me and forced me to actually cook something creative instead of microwave something from Trader Joe's... or make a meal out of chocolate-covered pretzels.

So I've decided to start blogging again (occasionally) about some of the more "fun" meals Mark and I make. Tonight's dinner was one I've never made before: black bean and sweet potato taquitos.

Since I don't eat red meat, I tend to get tired of chicken and fish all the time, so I am always looking for different ways to get my protein... and black beans are one of my favorite healthy ways. So, without further ado, here is the recipe for the black bean and sweet potato taquitos. Nom.

{Ingredients}
2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes, cubed
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, melted
2/3 cup salsa (we like Clint's)
1 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple dashes pepper
10 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

{Instructions}

Since I bought frozen corn so that I could save the extra, I had to cook my corn first. I also went the easy route and bought microwavable sweet potatoes, which cooked in 10 minutes.


In a large bowl, I combined the corn, sweet potatoes, cheddar cheese and black beans. In a smaller bowl, I stirred together the cream cheese, salsa, chile powder, cumin and salt/pepper. Once these two bowls had been adequately mixed, I poured the ingredients in the smaller bowl on top of the larger bowl. 


(Don't judge the above picture; I know it's not the prettiest.)
Finally, I sprayed two baking sheets with coconut oil and filled the tortillas with about 2/3 cup of the mix. After I had rolled them into taquito-shaped beings, I brushed the melted butter/olive oil on the tops to make them brown when they were baking. After 15 minutes in the oven at 350, I was left with this.

These guys are super filling — Mark and I only ended up eating one each — so I now have about 10 of these guys leftover. (Hello, lunch tomorrow.) Overall, I would say these turned out pretty good. They aren't something I would make all the time, but they were a nice Pinterest win... which is always better than the Pinterest fail I usually make.

No comments:

Post a Comment