Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Man's Best Friend



I have officially been a dog owner for four days. Let me rephrase that. I’ve been a puppy owner for four days. There is a big difference.

A dog greets you at the door when you come home, goes on walks with you and sleeps through the night. A puppy wakes you up six times a night to go potty, has accidents in the house, requires constant attention and chews on your shoes or feet or down comforter or whatever is in front of him.

But having a puppy is also one of the greatest joys I’ve ever experienced. Sure, I haven’t slept for the past three nights and my last two lunch breaks have consisted of running home to let the puppy out. But the feeling you get when your puppy can’t crawl close enough to you is completely indescribable. It physically hurts me to leave him alone and I want to keep him near me at all times.

Having Nolan has also reminded there is more to life than eating out all the time or fixing my hair or putting on makeup everyday (sorry, Mark). The past four days I’ve been more concerned with spending time with my family and less with the superficial things that creep up on me from time to time.

I know the next several weeks will have their ups and downs as we continue to potty train our little nugget. But he already makes me so happy I can’t imagine what I will feel for the little guy the closer I get to him. I always knew I was a dog person. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment