Friday, December 14, 2012

Living and Learning


In nine days, my husband and I will be married for six months. I know in the grand scheme of things that isn't a long time, but I can honestly say I've learned so much these past six months of marriage. Below are a few of the invaluable lessons that I've been lucky enough to learn already...

If you've got it, flaunt it
I'm a very lucky girl, don't think I don't know that. I was lucky enough to find a man I find unbelievably attractive who treats me better than I ever imagined someone would. And you better believe that when I have the opportunity to show that man off (i.e. my office Christmas party) I will take full advantage. I still can't believe I convinced him to marry me some days.

Never be too proud
I am a prideful person. But, as with anything, admitting your problems is the first step in the right direction. The second is working to be better. That is something I struggle with every day. It is not easy for me to admit when I'm wrong (I am my father's daughter after all). However, one thing that I am slowly learning is that I don't have to be right all of the time. As we all saw today, life is short and being happy is much better than always being right.

Appreciate a simple date night
When Mark and I first started dating, I got spoiled. We went on dates all the time. But, I mean, that's what dating is... going on dates. Now that we've got a baby Nolan, who requires constant attention, we aren't able to meet for lunch anymore and rarely have date nights. And the funny thing is, I appreciate a simple date night so much more. Last night, Mark and I walked to eat dinner and get ice cream and then came home. Nothing fancy, nothing extravagant, but I haven't stopped thinking about it all day. 

Don't take family time for granted
Last month Mark's incredible grandpa passed away, somewhat suddenly. Unfortunately, I'd only gotten the opportunity to meet him twice, but I know how much he impacted Mark and everyone he met really. Having both lost someone very close to us the past two years, Mark and I are both realizing that family really is the most important thing. It doesn't matter if a tradition seems silly or may not be something you'd necessarily choose to do, you will look back on that memory someday and be glad you chose to do it.

Say I love you
This one may seem like a no-brainer, but believe it or not it's something I am realizing more and more. I love my husband more than anything and I often assume he just knows how I feel. But, let's be honest, everyone likes to be reminded. Mark is constantly doing meaningful things for me (like surprising me with a warm coat the day before I left for NYC when I didn't have one). One of the things I love most about him is how thoughtful and considerate he is to other people. Reminding people how much you care about them really can make a world of difference.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to be an expert in marriage because I can only imagine how much more I will know in another six months. But I'm learning so much about what it takes to be in a lasting relationship with someone you care so much about. I hope I only get better at this as time goes on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment