Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Never Underestimate The Power Of A Good Playlist

I remember driving to work one morning about two years ago, listening to a playlist I had just made the day before. Once I reached the third song, I realized all of the songs on this playlist had something in common…they were all songs my dad had introduced to me at some time or another. At this point, my dad was still alive and there was really no sentimental reason behind this playlist other than it made me happy and reminded me of my dad.

I listened to this playlist full of James Taylor, Elton John, Chicago and The Beatles every single day for months on my way to work and again on my way home. While my dad and I always had (almost creepily) similar taste in music, my reason behind listening to this list of songs was that it made me feel happy and safe. Even on my worst days at work, listening to that playlist on my drive home would remind me of great times with my dad and make me excited to talk to him after work at dinner.

Fast forward two years and my dad is no longer here. However, I have created many playlists similar to the one I would listen to every day. Even though I don’t have the ability to talk with my dad after work anymore, I still feel happy and safe anytime I listen to certain songs that I listened to so many times with my dad. I think there is so much power behind music that people don’t see. I can be stressed at work and a specific song can completely turn my day around. As Johnny Depp once said, “Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't.”



No comments:

Post a Comment